Thursday, May 24, 2012

Run Like A Girl

I am a runner. I love to run...ask anyone. I ran my first half marathon last September in Virginia Beach and it was amazing. This year, I had plans to run at least 12 races, 1 per month, with 2 half marathons thrown in for good measure. You know, 1 last year, 2 this year...

Then life does it's thing: stress fracture in my left tibia. And killer hip pain on the right. I finally saw the ortho and the hip can be fixed with physical therapy. The stress fracture?? KILL ME NOW..no running for at least the next 7 weeks, and I haven't run (Ok, I did once about 3 weeks ago...but it was only 2 miles, I swear!) for the past 6 weeks. The ortho tells me there hasn't been sufficient bone growth so far and he'd prefer me on crutches...that's not happening! He did ok me for biking, so today I did that for this first time..I am feeling achiness in the calf...hoping it's only the muscle.

I have been reading a wonderful book, "Run Like A Girl", by Mina Samuels. This has been very good for me, so I will steal some knowledge and advice and pass it on:

"Running has given me freedom and strength" - this is how I feel every time I lace up my sneakers.

"Our running shoes have magic in them - the power to transform a bad day into a good day, self-doubt into confidence.." - Amen.

"We forget that happiness and suffering are states of mind." - I walked out the ortho's office and cried. Then I talked with friends and 2 things happened. I realized that there is a way to still get my workout and not wallow about the lack of running, as I will be coming back healthy and will run again. And that first run, if it's 7 weeks from now or 6 months is going to rock my world. AND, more importantly, I realized that my fracture is NOTHING compared to what other people in my life are experiencing and I decided to focus on them...this isn't all about me.

Here's to getting more calcium and the positive thinking that will help my body heal!
Cheers!

Be Strong,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment