Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Woman "On the Job"

As a woman in law enforcement, I have experienced men who think women should not be "on the job". I can honestly say the majority of my co-workers are great to work with, they back me up on all calls and we have a great time each shift, finding the fun only this job can bring us. Only a few have ever voiced that women shouldn't be police officers or made gender specific derogatory remarks. A few have felt that due to my experience working with victims of Domestic Violence(prior as a civilian and also as a Deputy in our Domestic Violence Unit) made me lean towards the "women as victims" mentality. And this often lead to some very interesting discussions.
I firmly believe the majority of men today are growing up around women that have feminist views and believe we can succeed in any job. And this helps women entering the law enforcement field.
I have had 11 years on the job so far. I like to believe that I have proved to the men that I am more than capable on the job and I am good at it.

There is also a public perception about women in law enforcement. We are either lesbians or we are sleeping with all our co-workers. This is a tough road sometimes. Tonight I had a male prisoner in my backseat and I pulled up next to a fellow Deputy for a quick hello, as I haven't seen him in a while. As I pulled away, my prisoner said to me, "I don't mean to butt in, but you two seemed really 'friendly' with each other".  I explained to him that I had known this fellow Deputy for 11 years and we had gone to the police academy together. My prisoner said," Yeah, well, things can happen between coworkers". I could only shake my head because this is a public perception that I cannot beat..a judgement made on a simple hello and a short conversation about work.

I have realized that the stress of being a wife and mother and the pressure from the home front about the job is often worse than the stress of  being a woman on the job. This relates to being the sole woman in an all male platoon (I currently have a female Lieutenant but that has not always been the case). My platoon is made up of me and 12 men. This job brings me close to my partners and they do become my extended family. I am here for them, I will fiercely protect them and fight to the death for them. People in other professions do not understand how this works. Thus, this can cause a lot of stress at home.

Another part that causes stress at home is simply that I want a successful career. Law Enforcement is shift work. We work extra hours, extra shifts, extra details for the job and to succeed...and hopefully prove one day that we deserve a promotion. I have as a wife and  mother, often turned down many of these shifts and details, for my family...and there are times I believe this has not helped my career. And there are times, when life at home is not progressing well and I am told that my job means more to me than my family. The ongoing stress of trying to juggle being a working mom rears it's ugly head.

The part that our families: husbands, wives, and children do not understand is this: WE MAKE EVERY NIGHT'S GOAL TO COME HOME ALIVE. Anything can happen out here: a traffic stop gone bad, an accident, a domestic that is violent, or any other routine call can go bad in a  flash.
Maybe as police officers we don't express to our families enough that our purpose every shift is to make  it back home to them.. So to my family: know that when I put on the uniform, the gun belt and the vest, that I am thinking of you and my return home at 6am.

A woman's work is never done. This speaks the truth in my personal life and my professional life.
I do know that I was meant to be "on the job".  A job that is never done.

Be Brave,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment